An update from Calgary
Hey everybody!
I am posting this post from my new apt in Calgary. I started work on Monday and so far its been alright. Largely we have been doing training of various kinds. The legal profession is quite remarkable considering that we have to be experts in all kinds of computer programs and marketing/client services and then actually know the law. So its a bit overwhelming.
In terms of Calgary it self I have not had too much of chance to explore it considering I come home pretty exhausted.
The work looks really demanding and the hours are going to be long but I think its going to be some good training and a great experience. Plus, I REALLY need the money.
A few downers though, I have to admit.
First, before I came out west I met this girl. Although it was nothing super serious or 'official' I spent a fair amount of time with her and I am only realizing now how much I liked and miss her. Something I never told her. Yet I get the sense from her that she didn't want anythign serious to come from it. So, its not anything new.
Second, there are alot fo good looking women her in Calgary, the law firm has its share, but they all tend to be engaged or married. Bah! Plenty of time for that though- haha!
Third, I basically have to tell the firm in the next couple of weeks whether or not I want to come back here next year to article. Although this is awsome, to have a guarranteed job with a great firm that pays reasonably well, its alot of hard work in areas that I am not sure I really want to practice in. It dawned on me today how demanding its really going to be and how much I am not that much a fan of the work. Many times I think the reduced pay and reduced demands of goverment work would be better. Hard to tell so early on though.
Adding to this is the realization that I would really like to be a law prof. I just would. I know its alot of work, comparable to that as a lawyer, but I would really like to put my expertise and work towards something I care about and think is important. The money is less but still really good. But most importantly the lifestyle is more akin to mine, I could write about things I am interested in, I could help students with a whole bunch of stuff, like career descisons and their school work. I would really enjoy this and find it fufilling.
Besides all that, its going to be a pretty wicked summer. Its going to be super busy, something I kinda like, and I get to explore a whole different part of the country and learn tons about big business and the oil and gas industry. You really can't beat an experience like this one.
Alright crew, I am off to have some supper. Keep your sticks on the ice and don't hesitate to leave any comments!!!

2 Comments:
Dan,
I haven't checked your blog in a month or so and voilĂ , a post! I am glad to hear that things are fine in Calgary. I will send you a longer email soon or give you a call if you have your Ontario cell with you in Calgary.
Denis
Dan - it's so sweet that you met a girl you really liked. You should've told her how much you care about her. Girls always want to hear that stuff!
Post a Comment
<< Home