Another very late update
Hey everybody! I know I haven't posted in over a month or two so please do accept my apology for this lapse. This is assuming of course that you still occasionally visit this page to see if anything is being posted. Be disappointed no longer.
So what is new with me? A whole lot actually.
First, I am writing this post on a free word processor that is part of a free open sourced office productivity suite(Thanks to JD for the hook up). These kinds of open source projects always get me super excited. So the program I am using is called OpenOffice.org Writer and is part of the OpenOffice.org productivity suite. There are a number of programs in this suite which replicate what the MS office programs do. There is an equivalent program to to such programs as Excel, Access, Powerpoint and obviously Word.
So far I haven't really done all that much with the programs. I have written a little bit and opened and viewed a few Excel documents. So far so good. I am impressed at how the whole thing looks and works. Still pretty intuitive especially if you have used any of the aforementioned Microsoft products. I am sure that most of you are using MS Office but someone like me who only has the MS Works on their computer appreciates having something similar to those other programs. For example, prior to getting the OpenOffice suite I could only 'read' excel document and Powerpoint presentations and not create them myself. Now I can do something vary similar. Best of all, you can easily open and save documents in the MS formats or into other formats. Its real slick and for the price of 0$ it is real nice.
So if your interested in getting an office productivity suite and don't want to shell out the big bucks I suggest you check out OpenOffice.org. There are versions for Linux and Mac as well. Besides, its nice not to use a Microsoft product every once and awhile.
The Second big news with me is that I got a summer job! Its in Calgary Alberta with a big law firm there. I think its a great opportunity and I am excited to get some real world experience. Its the time to figure out if this is what I want to do. Its perfect for that purpose.
Besides that not much else is new. I was going to talk about some of my reflections about things but they have totally escaped me at the moment. Alas.
Nevertheless there is an update from me.
Oh, hold on. Before I forget. For any of you academic hounds out there who are generally interested in academic, political and social matters you may want to bookmark the Political Theory daily review. There is a crazy wealth of information and links on the site and you may find something that is of interest to you. See it at
http://www.politicaltheory.info/
Also, for any of you amateur virtue theorists out there, there is also an online journal called incharacter which has released a number of issues on certain specific virtues. The current issue is on self-reliance. Its a rather interesting little journal and I suggest you check it out.
http://www.incharacter.org/toc.php
The topic of virtue theory may be something I return to in later posts.
Cheers!

2 Comments:
Hey Dan, I've been meaning to congratulate you on the job!!! WOW!!! It's very impressive, Joel told me all about it.
Secondly, I might as well comment on your entry too! I've played around with OpenOffice on someone else's *gasp* Windows machine (a DELL even! barf!) and it seemed great. I tried out the word processor and the "powerpoint" thing. It was good but it's much prettier on a Mac. w00t. See ya!!!
Dan,
Maybe I will come and see you in Calgary. I have always wanted to go out west. Auguri, as they say here!
Thanks for the links... interesting articles and such. Keep on posting.
Denis
Post a Comment
<< Home