Spelunkingwithplato

Spelunking is the activity of Cave exploration, for those who have read The Republic you'll know what this means. For those who don't, don't worry about it, it was the only thing I could think of to name the site....Might change soon.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Another Update

Alright guys I am fresh back from my Toronto Interviews. One firm was really hot on me inviting me back three times to visit the firm and meet with the partners. I had to admit that I was suprised I had gotten so far in the process. The firm kept expressing a serious interest in me the whole time I was there but eventually they called me last night to say that I was only there second choice etc., etc. Although I was lucky to go so far down the process I still feel pretty misled by the firm which kept hinting that they would be giving me a job. Aw well that is toronto for you.

At least they called me back, many students didn't even get that. Good thing is that this leaves me open for other things rather than talking a job I kinda thought I wanted.

One thing is for sure, it looks increasingly unlikely that I will return home to the maritimes. I just can't afford it. I don't want to be working for 38 G a year trying to bill 1600 hours(This works out to working like 55-60 hour weeks) and trying to pay back a debt of over 60,000$. I would be working all the time and making little to no money. So nuts to that.

Which of course means I am willing to explore other options. So bye-bye to the Maritimes.

So that is what is going on down here.

Peace

2 Comments:

At 3:43 p.m., Blogger Craig said...

Hey Dan-O, I'm thinking the same way you are (debts about the same once I graduate). It's an awful realization that working in the Maritimes might not be a feasible choice.

 
At 8:48 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,

In honour of Rememberance day I am posting a poem published in a volume of Frank S. Brown’s works in 1915 entitled Contingent Ditties. Frank S. Brown was a Sergeant in the Third Company of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry and served in the Great War.

The P. P. C. L. I. (Princess Pat’s)

The trumpet sounded loud o’er hill and plain:
To Arms! To Arms! Our Empire is at war!
Come, join your colours, on the land or main,
All Britons who have served the King before.

And in the mountain mine; by prairie plow,
They answered to the trumpet’s brazen voice:
They, who had served the Empire long enow
As soldiers by profession and from choice.

No conscripts, these, in whose unwilling hands
Weapons are thrust, to wage unwilling strife,
But – freemen all, who needed not commands
To volunteer their service, limb and life.

Thus rose a regiment, as ‘neath a wand.
Of seasoned men, with medalled service too:
Soldiers from every corps throughout the land –
Britons beyond the seas; tried men and true.

This is indeed a princely gift to give
To our Imperial Realm in crisis sore –
Proud in the nation of the sturddy men,
And prouder yet of him who raised the Corps.

Then go, ye able sons of Britain’s soil,
To take your place, wherever it may be;
God speed you in the glory – and the toil,
Princess Patricia’s Canadian Infantry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home