Spelunkingwithplato

Spelunking is the activity of Cave exploration, for those who have read The Republic you'll know what this means. For those who don't, don't worry about it, it was the only thing I could think of to name the site....Might change soon.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Upper Canadians

On our recent theme of the maritimes and its economic fate. I thought I should post my thoughts about a discussion I had with a girl at the Law School here.

You might be interested to know that I made the mistake, after someone from the law school told me that their friends parents bought a place on the east coast, of expressing my dismay that maritime land was being bought up by non-maritimers. Well she started going off on how in the maritimes we should be happy that these people are contributing to our economy by buying the land etc, that we are all on welfare etc, etc.

There are a few things that bothered me about this conversation.

The first thing, and I get this all the time, is Upper Canadians thinking that the maritimes is their personal playground. Like some sort of cape cod cottage country for the upper canadian upper middle classes. Not a place were people actually want development, jobs and careers, but rather a region that should re-tool itself every summer to cater to people from Ontario. As if we should bow at their feet for gracing us with their presence.

Connected to this is the huge myth that maritimers are super friendly etc. As if we are super jovial happy go lucky people. Like Newfoundlanders. I do agree that overall maritimers are much frendlier than in other parts of the country but->

I find this image of the maritimes inaccurate and somewhat insulting. I say this because it ignores the fact, and speaks to the ignorance of people from other regions, of the real and significant problems and heartaches that people face in the region.

I am reminded of one of Alistair Mcleod's Short stories, the title escapes me, about the young man from Cape Breton who decides to leave home and hichhike west to find work. Anyways, on his way he hitches a rid with a traveling salesman from Ontario, while they stop in Springhill, the salesman mentions how, after the mining disaster, he can sleep with this woman who lost her husband in the bump. For this traveling salesman, it is all a big joke and a way to get his jollies off, while the woman sometimes cries out for her dead husbands name.

I can let you all draw the connection. I guess what I am trying to get at is that the maritimes is not only a place of friendly people and beautyful scenery etc., but it is alos a place with a feeling of loss, unhappiness, aimlessness, lack of employment.

But one thing that this girl at the law school couldn't understand, was the feeling of attachement that many maritimers have for their region. This is why the girl couldn't understand why I found it frustrating that maritimers are too poor to buy their own land while land values are driven up by foreign buyers. By foreign I include Upper Canadians. For her, all buyers were the same, so long as they had the money, why complain about their purchaisng habits? Its not as if there was any real difference between Ontario and the rest of Canada.

So just to let you know, prejudices about the maritimes are still in full force here and people are not hesitant to vocalize them. I still take the view that confederation was the beginning of the downfall for the maritimes.

Peace

4 Comments:

At 10:43 a.m., Blogger JD said...

hoo-boy. I could write a BOOK on this, let alone a comment on a blog post. Perhaps I'll be able to dig into this on sonicinfusion sometime in the near future.

You hit the nail on the head old boy.

 
At 1:56 p.m., Blogger Craig said...

I look forward to Joel's post on the one-industry towns ... I really want to hear people's opinion on it. It's something I struggle with whenever considering the future of AC.

Dan, I'm sure you gave her a bit of the nasty side of Atlantic Canada.

I always liked Stan Roger's song The Idiot, which was commissioned by the gov't of NS. It's about a man who goes out west to make his fortune but misses home dearly. I'll have to get those Aliaster short stories.

It is a constant struggle to discuss the issues facing AC with people from outside of the region. I find it difficult to discuss it when westerns, facing similar problems. It's something we must do though. We must try to educate. This is what I liked about McKenna. He purchased full page ads in the Globe to describe the benefits of New Brunswick.

 
At 8:34 p.m., Blogger Hanni D said...

Nice post, Dan! It feels so bad to be losing our homeland to others who don't share our history, values, and ideals. Though if I believed this 100% then I couldn't consider myself to be a true Nova Scotian (which I do), having parents from Newfoundland and Egypt.

I think the problem lies with the amount of people swooping into the Maritimes to buy up cheap land and use it as a second home or vacation spot. It might be different if their goal was to integrate into our beautiful way of life and support the Maritimes from the inside out.

A quick thought: are the people who sell land to non-Maritimers also to blame for encouraging this unfortunate transition, or are they just a pawn in this game?

 
At 5:16 a.m., Blogger Spelunkingwithplato said...

Likely just pawns. I think your right in pointing out the vacation/integration difference hanni considering that I myself have two parents who are not from the maritimes. But of course, what is important is where your heart is, the way of life etc. So Hanni, right on the button.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home