Spelunkingwithplato

Spelunking is the activity of Cave exploration, for those who have read The Republic you'll know what this means. For those who don't, don't worry about it, it was the only thing I could think of to name the site....Might change soon.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Half way done

Hey guys, I am half way done my exams, 3 down 3 to go, and I am pretty excited to get my first year done.

I am writting this post to respond to a comment Wheels left to one of my recent posts. In that post I disscussed the 'cult of the international' etc. and the predomiance of 'international studies', arguing that such a focus is to the detriment of other areas of study. Wheels seems to have thought I was denying the importance of the 'international' to the future of canada. I.e. doesn't canada have to participate in a world economy. Certainly this is the case, that Canada must participate in the world economy, and there is nothing inherently wrong with the study of international relations, international political economy. etc. Maybe my objections came off as too strong or not completely well explained.


Basically I am not a fan of the attitude that people have chosen to take towards higher education and the world more generally. I just think that our obssesion with the international has lead to people ignoring their own communities. It seems for many who I talk to that there couldn't be any problems in their own backyards. (Ultimatly these are just my rantings and are not fully reasoned)

I guess secondly, what bothers me, and I see this in law school, people are all doing this to support and advance their careers. Once again it is attitudinal. But really, it is hard to blame these individuals where the job market in the white collar world is so ridiculously competitive.

Ultimatly I was just bothered by the issue of international students. It is unclear to me that accepting international students inherently makes us more comeptitve in the international economy. Especially for smaller regions, like the maritimes, we need more educated maritimes who are willing to remain in the area but have the capabilites to deal on the international stage.


But, sometimes I wonder who long the 'international economy' will last. With the scarcety of oil, and the possibility that we have reached the 'peak' of the worlds production of oil, it isn't clear that the international economy will be able to survive a serious decline in production and the increase in the cost of oil. Its hard to tell if we have reached this point considering the existence of OPEC and their unwilligness to divulge fully the amount of oil they have. But this is really just speculation.

Anyways, that is my thoguhts on the issue.

3 Comments:

At 12:20 p.m., Blogger Craig said...

I'm glad that more people are protesting the focus on 'international.' I do think it is important to study international relations because of the global economy and to understand what influences it (cultural, etc).

However, I meant to completely agree with you. With the sexiness of international studies and also taking advantage of it in terms of university student selection, pushes for immigration, etc, policy development completely avoids why there is a need for pulling in an international element to begin with.

I hope I, too, have clarified my stance a bit.

I also agree about the sketchiness of the international market.

 
At 12:28 p.m., Blogger Craig said...

Also, on RIM:

I like it. At first I was worried that they were creating jobs that would be eliminated in a year or so down the road because of the legal disputes. Now, there is a large number of tech jobs opening up in Dartmouth. The cost of living on that side of the harbor is a lot lower that south-end Halifax so it should be a big boom for Dartmouth, overall.

Also, with the proposed tower development along the waterfront in Halifax I think this is just another step towards making the HRM one of the strongest cities in Canada (i.e., increasing population by 100,000 in the next nine years).

At the same time we have to think about the what this will do to rural communities. And for that, I have limited ideas. I've heard some people say that a one-industry town (such as Springhill) is bound to fail and the government shouldn't prop it up, let it become a ghost town essentially ... wow

 
At 10:40 a.m., Blogger JD said...

I'd like to comment on this Craig. Keep your eye on sonicinfusion for a brief look at the "why prop up the one-industry town" thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home